Let’s put it this way.
Pie crust. Tick.
Bananas. Tick, tick, tick.
Enter Jamie Oliver’s Banoffee Pie recipe. Oh and did we mention it only takes 30 minutes? Run don’t walk.
While the recipe is obviously thanks to the Naked Chef himself, we found it on allconsuming.
- 1 store bought pie crust
- 2 bananas
- 100ml milk
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 300ml cream
- 1 tbsp camp coffee
- 2 bananas, extra
- 100g block of dark chocolate
And here’s how to turn all that into a delicious pie:
- Blitz the two bananas with the milk until well combined and smooth
- In a pan over high heat melt the caster sugar. Don’t stir it, just gently tilt as it melts to a dark caramel colour
- Add the banana milk mixture to the toffee, stirring until the toffee melts back into the bananas
- Pour into the pie case and freeze for 20 minutes (or if you don’t need it in 30 minutes, pop it in the fridge!)
- Whip the cream and then fold through the camp coffee essence so it leaves pretty swirls in the cream
- Slice the bananas and arrange over the pie filling, then spoon the cream over the top
- Place the chocolate bar on the bench, smooth side up. Scrape a sharp chef’s knife on a 45 degree angle across the chocolate towards you, making chocolate curls. Arrange over the top of the cream
You know what can be devastating? The moment you realise you’ve let your bananas get that little bit too ripe to eat. We all like our bananas differently. Some go green, others perfectly yellow and some of us are fond of a bit of bruising, but even those people have their limits. Sometimes those bad boys are just too ripe. What a waste. Well never fear, we’re here to help. Ditch the jeans and grab some pants with an elastic waistband because this recipe isn’t the healthiest of choices, but it’s certainly worth the extra calories.
Oh yes, we’re talking cake. And where there’s banana cake, there’s cream cheese frosting. We can hear your stomachs grumbling already…
This recipe is from Wives with Knives.
- 2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 or 3)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease well and flour two 8 inch layer cake pans or a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Into the large bowl of an electric mixer sift flour with baking powder, soda, salt and sugar.
- Add shortening, bananas and vanilla. At low speed beat just until combined.
- At medium speed beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping side of bowl with rubber scraper.
- Add eggs and buttermilk, beat 2 minutes longer.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake layers 30-35 minutes, oblong pan 40-45 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool thoroughly on a wire rack. Fill with sweetened whipped cream and sliced bananas or with cream cheese frosting.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Beat cream cheese with butter and vanilla until well combined. Gradually add powdered sugar until you reach the consistency and sweetness that suits your taste.
Enjoy! And in advance, you’re welcome.
If the picture wasn’t too much of a giveaway, we’re excited to let you all know that we will be launching our Recipes section. We know bananas are an awesome snack on their own (and, you know, a healthy option too) but we’re all partial to some banana cake or a banana milkshake from time to time, so we’ll be showing you the best ways to snaz your bananas up!